The Legend of Pink Tools and Pearls


Sometimes you choose your brand.  Other times, it chooses you.

 

I'm an engineer.  I was pretty much born to be an engineer, ask anyone who knows me in real life.   I love building things, fixing things, and inevitably breaking them.  I love solving problems.  I love making the random connections between disparate concepts and ending up with an innovative plan.  Yep, I'm a nerd, but there's so much more than that. 

 

I'm also a lady (sort of - more on that another time), courtesy of my southern debutante mother.  I have a great appreciation for finer things, like vintage crystal and sterling holloware.  I own about five strands of pearls (some are real, some are not, and I'm not telling), and they all have matching earrings.  They tend to be my go-to jewelry on an everyday basis.  I wear them with jeans, shorts, suits, and cocktail dresses. 

 

So, like any woman in a technical field, I've had my fair share of issues with my male coworkers.  I love them all, even when they drive me bonkers, but some recurring actions forced my hand.  Over the years, I got a little frustrated with my pens, pencils, screwdrivers, and pliers walking away from my desk.   Pens and pencils disappearing, fine.  I can restock those from the supply cabinet.  But hand tools?  Really?  As my mother always claimed, "A lady never gets angry; she gets even.  She makes the bad situation work to her advantage."  I saw PINK-HANDLED tool sets at the local home-improvement store and pointed them out to the hubby as a potential Christmas gift.  He hooked me up and then some, adding a pink flashlight and pink ballpoint pens to the package.

 

And I haven't lost a tool or writing instrument since.

 

The legend has grown. With a pair of pink clipboards, pink post-it notes, pink sharpies, pink notebooks, pink peripheral cables, and pink USB drives, just about all of my work supplies are pretty much color-coded to be easily identified as mine.  Many other women I've met in the industry think that my stash of pink hardware is ingenious.  I've developed a reputation as "the pink engineer" on some client sites as a result.  That works for me; it means people know who I am, and they will be paying attention.  Just so long as they recognize that the "pink engineer" knows what she's doing.

Comments